Welcome to Caywood, the home of The Fox and the Grapes Bed and Breakfast, once known as the Caywood House and the Caywood House Bed and Breakfast.
James Caywood, a farmer from Michigan, along with his brother, Charles, a sea captain, built the home in 1885 with lumbar brought in from Michigan and built 2 other houses in the community. It is said that James was the founder of the Hamlet of Caywood. In 1893, the Lehigh Valley Railroad came to town building rails and a depot that sparked much prosperity and excitement. James later built a lumber shed, warehouse, grain building and a general store, some of which still stand today as do a fruit packing warehouse and the home of the former trainmaster.
James hired Elmer J. Porter as his business manager. Elmer and his wife, Celia, took care of both the business and an aging James so well, that the Caywoods left many of their business and real estate holdings to the Porters. The railroad left the area in the 1970s but the railroad bed still remains down below us. The Porter family owned the Caywood house for a long time, and The Caywood House Bed and Breakfast was owned and operated by Elmer and Mary Porter in the 1980s. They rented 2 Rooms with shared baths for $35 a night. The Caywood House was sold to Jim Pellegrini in 2004 and The Fox and The Grapes was born.
Bud and I purchased The Fox and the Grapes in 2014, moved here from Ohio with our dogs, Bailey and Guinness, and continue to learn about our Caywood House, the community and its history. We enjoy sharing this beautiful home that is old in character, rich in history, and filled with modern charm and amenities. Running our B & B isn't just a hobby or something to do in our spare time rather, it's our profession and taking care of our guests is a priority. Come and stay awhile and see why it is the perfect place to begin and end your day!
We look forward to having you as our guest.
Kim and Bud Wagner, Owners/Innkeepers
Learn More About The Fox & the Grapes...
» Amenities & Services